Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Idaho is HOT, HOT, HOT

Wednesday
July 9, 2014



Today George had an excursion planned for us. We went to Craters of the Moon National Monument. George has always been into science stuff and he had heard of this place. When NASA was training the astronauts to go to the moon, they worked there in preparation. Craters of the Moon is actually a huge lava and volcanic debris field. It was huge. They say the field is the result of several eruptions the last being over 2000 years ago. There paved paths that led out to different points. We hiked out to several spots and even went down into a lava tube. We had to go down steps and then maneuver over huge boulders. Inside it was very dark and we had to use flashlights to see. The cave was weird and a little neat too. Caroline and George went on to several other spots. I went back to car. It was getting hot. Black rock and black asphalt mean hot temperatures.  When we left, you could see volcanic debris way on down from the original area. That means a volcano can spew stuff out a long way.

We hit 3000 miles on the odometer just after lunch.


We then started our killer drive for the day. We went by more sagebrush, rocky land, and barbed wire.  I looked up at the temperature and it was 102 degrees on car thermometer. I'm not sure about the accuracy but, when it gets over 95 it's HOT.




We had lunch at a diner called Fudge Factory Diner.  The food was good. I had my first ever cone of huckleberry ice cream and it was very good. The waitress was new to the area.  The population went up by one to 1,042. She was from Texas I think. She said she had moved to be with her brother. Another tiny little town. I think these little towns would be good places for the Witness Protection Program to send people.  I would be crazy. No shopping center or Walmart.

We visited the Oregon Trail Museum in Baker, Oregon. It was great. I'm just glad I did not have to experience going west in a covered wagon. I would have "seen the elephant" before I got out of North Carolina.

We got into Hermiston, OR around 9:00 PM. Settled in for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment