Saturday, July 5, 2014

It was like a roller coaster!!

Saturday
July 5, 2014


We got an early start this morning. After a wonderful breakfast we first headed to gas station to fill up. On the top of the priority list was to clean the windshield. I believe we took out a good percentage of the bug population yesterday afternoon on our wild ride into Cody. On a happier note, the bikers who were here in Cody for a bike convention will have less to deal with. After filling the tank one more time, we headed out.

Today’s ride was absolutely breathtaking in so many ways. As the title tells you we went to high places and low places. We took the scenic Hwy 14 alt. It carried us through the usual scrubby wastelands that are only good for feeding livestock.  We were also treated to seeing mountain peaks that were still covered with snow and I made the comment that I would stand in snow barefooted. Little did I know that we would be going above the snow level. 

This road carried us through Bighorn National Park. We started out in the valley and ended up at an elevation of 10,162 feet. The valley was…..well there are truly no words to describe the beauty. At some points we were dwarfed by huge rock formations that had once been formed by volcanoes spewing out lava. Then years and years of erosion had carved them into spectacular shapes. In some places near the top were lush meadows with lupines, mountain buttercups and other flowers. We came upon a beautiful lake there too. (See facebook). We saw a sign for Medicine Wheel Park. It was a 1 1/2 mile ride up a dirt road even higher. Talked with the ranger there and it was another 1 1/2 mile hike so we didn’t go there. I do plan on googling it when I get home. We saw quite a few hikers heading out. One was wearing a multicolored crocheted poncho, walking with hiking sticks and she left a small bonsai tree on her car roof. Aww, that’s the beauty of America. We are a blend of so many.

We arrived in Cody about 2:00 and went to the Buffalo Bill Museum. What a treasure to enjoy. We spent about 2 hours there looking at the various exhibits. We may go back tomorrow and finish up. We are headed to a supper and Chuck Wagon Show and then to the rodeo.

It’s been a great day. I realized as we were traveling up on that high mountain, how insignificant I was but, I know that my God knows me and cares for me. That makes me feel really big in my heart.

Have a wonderful Saturday evening.


1 comment: