Saturday, July 26, 2014

Rocky Mountain High (No Marijuana)

Saturday

July 26, 2014


Today we woke up early and got on the road because we want to get to Pike's Peak before the predicted clouds and rain roll in this afternoon.

We had a great drive through the country. I salute George because he has picked some beautiful roads to travel on with great scenery. As we leave this morning, I am a little happy. We are facing the sun. That means we're heading back towards home. I love traveling but, I miss home, my friends, and of course Shannon and Caroline.

We did get a surprise this morning. As we topped the crest of a hill, we were greeted with a sky full of hot air balloons. What a beautiful sight.  I guess they had traveled over some of the mountain peaks and they were landing. The funny thing was that they were landing in a cow pasture and the cows didn't even seem to notice. Guess that was some good grass. I counted and there were thirteen balloons.

We made it to the top of Pike's Peak. What a drive. Nineteen miles going up with lots of switchbacks. I must admit I flinched a couple of times and the door handle got a workout. Our early departure was definitely in our favor. The sky was so clear at the top. There were a lot of people up there. Parking was at a minimum. The parking attendant was having a time getting everyone situated. We enjoyed the view and shopped around.

I must not forget to tell about the bikers. There were bicyclists going up that road. All just pedaling along at their own pace. Most looked happy. There were a few with grimaces on their faces. I don't think that they make a bike with enough gears to get me up a 14,000 mountain on 19 miles of highway. I know going down must be a lot easier.

When we left, we were met with a deluge of traffic going up the mountain. Cars, motorcycles, vans, buses, an emergency vehicle and then a ambulance. We were instructed to drive down the mountain in the lowest gear possible and not to ride the brakes. Well, we are doing just that and zoom there goes a bicyclist by us just a flying. Whew I mean he was making time. He passed two other cars and we continued down in first gear and not riding our brakes. I wonder about him. Midway down, we were stopped and the park ranger had a heat sensor gun and he checked our brakes to see if they were too hot. 300 was too hot, we were 170. Go George. Hmmm. Park Ranger did not check the temperature of my shoe on the right side. LOL
All in and all it was a great trip.

Voodoo Donuts for snack tonight and then a tour of Denver tomorrow.
Landing in the cow pasture

A morning surprise
A daffodil balloon

No comments:

Post a Comment