Saturday, July 5, 2014

Monuments, Rattlesnake Story, and 80 MPH !!

July 4, 2014

 
Today has been a l o n g day. We drove over 550 miles. It was one of those days that George has plans for us to burn some miles and things to see.

Our first stop today was Chimney Rock and Courthouse Rock. We first heard of them when we played the game "Oregon Trail" on our old Apple II computer. We drove out to the viewing area and was amazed at the beauty and the size of these formations. You could see them miles before you arrived. I can imagine the pioneers excitement at seeing these on the horizon and realize they had reached a destination in their long trek. It was very hot and a stiff breeze blowing.

As we approached the welcome center we saw a DEAD rattlesnake in the road. That's the best kind. When we arrived there were signs in the parking lot and around sidewalks warning of rattlesnakes! Oh wonderful.

As we are going in, a lady is bringing out a push lawnmower to cut the grass. They have let the meadow grass and vegetation grow all around so the beauty can be enjoyed. I told George, there was no way I would be cutting any grass. She went along like she did it all the time. Once we were inside, I talked with her. She said she didn't usually use push mower but a riding one but didn't bring it. I told her she was a heroine in my eyes. She just laughed. When I her that we had seen a dead rattler in the road, she wasn't surprised. She did tell us that if you even run over a dead one and then have tire trouble you should not rub your hand around your tire. Snake venom can get into a cut or open sore. Sounds rather random so I guess this had happened to someone. I'll store that item of info but don't expect to need it.

George had ordered us OREGON TRAIL t-shirts to wear. His was a script from the game. You have to cross the river. Do you want to: 1. float across, 2. caulk and float, 3. take ferry, 4. wait for better conditions; mine said "You died of dysentery", Caroline "gonna kill some bears."  The cashier really liked them and insisted that we get our pics made before we left. I am now wondering where I can wear mine again. LOL

We then went to see Scott's Bluff which was several miles down the road. A beautiful escarpment. We first enjoyed a visit to the welcome center there and then we rode up to the top along a winding road. As we climbed in elevation, the beauty of the valley and surrounding area below was amazing. At the top, you could see 360 degrees of the valley floor below and it seemed you could see forever. I have often wondered what bird saw when flying. I got a glimpse today.

We went to visit the Wyoming Pioneer Museum but it was closed due to the holiday.

I helped with driving again today. I-25 is another pretty straight road. I knew we weren't in North Carolina anymore when I saw the speed limit....80 mph. I can say the Rawlins did not try to reach that speed. 75 was our limit. There were others that passed by us like we were dragging a sled of bricks. I told George if we multiplied what we were driving and added 30+ we could be NASCAR drivers.

The scenery was so changeable today. We left the land of corn and now we are seeing lots of soybeans and alfalfa. Of course the further west we came the land became more rocky and not conducive to planting. One could look to the right and see green pastures and look on the other side and see hills, gullies, and washouts. Scrubby vegetation, some cacti, and in some cases not much ground covering at all. One minute you seeing cliffs on one side and it's flat as a washboard on the other. Amazing and beautiful. We did see some pronghorn this afternoon. Some were grazing with cows. :) All is fair in love and war. Your grass is mine and mine is yours.

Arrived in Sheridan, WY around 8:00 PM. George and Caroline have gone to see fireworks. I opted out. On to Cody tomorrow.

HAPPY FOURTH TO ALL OF YOU




No comments:

Post a Comment