Tuesday, July 15, 2014

From dark black to bright blinking lights

It was a beautiful morning that greeted us when we awoke this morning. It was sunny and cool. We were up and going around 7:00 AM. We had several stops to make today and then some driving.

Our first stop was at a beautiful waterfall at McArthur Burney State Park. I don't know what it is about the sound of water that just fills my soul. I am so relaxed and at peace. 

Next we headed to Lassen Volcanic National Park. Lassen Volcano erupted in the early 1900's. I had never heard of it. We first visited a huge lava tube. It is a cave that was made by lava. Open at both ends. We went inside with our flashlights and went from one end to the other. Now I will be the first to say, my rods and cones, don't work too well when it comes to navigating in the dark. My big ole flashlight looked like a lightning bug's tail in that dark, black hole. George and Caroline were moving along. I was stumbling along trying to see and not fall over the uneven ground. Poor me. George had planned a possible hike to see some mudpots and fumeroles but, the girls opted out. I saw plenty at Yellowstone. We ended up riding up to the highest elevation the road would take us. We stopped at one scenic overlook and the valley was beautiful (see picture)

We had lunch at the visitor's center and then headed towards Truckee, CA. We were just leaving the park and I told George I would drive if he needed me to. Well he pulled over and I said, "Now?" and he said, "No, I think I'm getting pulled over." I looked back and there was a CHIP in a car. It wasn't Ponch. He was very nice and told us that our brake lights were not working. How weird that both would burn out at the same time. He let us go. I think he was amused at seeing our NC license tag. Then I got to drive.

Today we have passed through lush valleys with farms that reminded me of BIG VALLEY and BONANZA, twisting and turning roads through the mountains, rocks and boulders, plenty of beautiful evergreens, a doe and her baby, and two lizards.

We got our trusty phone gps to navigate us to the local auto shop and got us two lights. Yes, they were both burnt out, got our supper at the slowest pizza place we have ever been in. I thought one waitress would surely have her baby before our food was ready. LOL

Caroline has decided to fly home on Sunday. She has had enough riding to last her for a lifetime I think. She will be flying out of  Las Vegas and returning to the homefront late Sunday. She's been a trooper hanging out with us old folks. love her to pieces. She is also worried about getting all her stuff ready to move back to Boone August 1/2.

Tomorrow.....Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.

Please excuse typos and English goofs in these posts. I am writing them after a long day and sometimes my finger, brain, and this computer are not in sync.
Burney Falls
B
Into the deep of a lava tube

1 comment: