Friday, July 11, 2014

"Lush"ious and Green

Thursday
July 11, 2014



Today we checked out of our dream hotel and headed to the coast. We are going to Cape Disappointment, where Lewis and Clark finally found the Pacific Ocean years ago. Our main stop will be Astoria, OR.

We had several places George wanted to check out. They were: 1. the house of the Goonies (a movie); 2.  Jessie's house from Free Willy;  and 3. the sea wall where Willy jumped over Jesse in the movie. All of the locations were easily located with Google maps. Caroline and George went to the sea wall so Caroline could reenact the part where Willy jumped over Jesse and get a picture. There were huge rocks piled up and they were climbing all over them. I just got my book and read as I did not want to see them fall in the brink. LOL

We also visited Astoria Column. It is a beautiful structure which told the history of Astoria through pictures and words on the outside. Visitors could go up to the top if they wished. It was 164 steps up and a platform around the top. My fear of heights got the best of me. I did not go up. George and Caroline said it was very crowded and kids were running amok. Hmmm. Glad I stayed on ground level.

I don't want to forget the temperature. It was in low 60's all day. I loved wearing my hoodie today. It is also cloudy. I guess the locals are used to it. They're going around in shorts and t-shirts. We rode by the beachfront and saw some small children who were in bathing suits. Swimming in that cold water...not me. It was 59 degrees when we got back from eating.

I must say everything is so green here. The lawns, the trees, and flowers are beautiful. Hanging baskets are overflowing with petunias and we have seen some flowers indigenous to this area that are absolutely beautiful. The hygrangeas  (sp)  are deep, deep purple and blue. I guess the long days of light and rainfall are a gardener's best friend.


We are in Seaside, OR tonight. Tomorrow is a free day. We're going down the coast and stop wherever.



No comments:

Post a Comment